Sunday, September 1, 2013

Books Help Babies Grow (And A Dream Deferred)


Last week, I spied the cutest display at our local library. A wonderful patron donated "potted books" that had been decorations from a family member's baby shower.

It had me thinking about when I was in the hospital having my children, and how I wished that in addition to the diaper bag the nurses gave me filled with bottles and formula, they would have handed me a library tote filled with a beautifully balanced collection

I wish they would have explained the importance of reading every day with my baby - even if my eight pound bundle of joy didn't understand what I was saying. That reading is nourishment for the brain. That the library would be a great place to interact with other new parents at story time, or Spanish class. I wish someone would have taken two minutes to share how my library card could be used to put books, music, movies, cookbooks, magazines, and more, on hold online.

I dream about making that type of library tote available to each new parent as he or she is contemplating what will become priorities in their family schedule. Forgive my lack of posts as I focus what little free time I have on that dream. I'm open to ideas and suggestions, please contact me if you have a similar passion.

Borrow the Beauty - Keep The Knowledge: Library.  

xoxo Michele


Why buy happiness when your library shares it. Free music downloads through Freegal E-books, audio-books, and digital downloads are at your local library, just visit here or your local library website for complete information.

4 comments:

Julia Heaney said...

the family fiercely debated which picture books should welcome the first grandchild/nephew! In the end we agreed on our ten top:
'Mr Magnolia' Quentin Blake
'Five minute's peace' Jill Murphy
'Owl Babies' Martin Waddell
'Rosie's Walk' Pat Hutchins
'Whistle for Willie' Ezra Jack Keats
Winnie the Witch' Valerie Thomas (ill Korky Paul)
'Hug' Jez Alborough
'Not so fast Songololo' Niki Daly
'Can't you sleep, Little Bear?' Martin Waddell
'Happy birthday Moon' Frank Asch
We found them all and they were waiting for Liam! We live in Johannesburg so there is a South African touch to some of them!

Dustin Moseley said...

Reading to children, even before they can understand words, teaches them to associate books with love and affection. Read more of our thoughts on our blog: http://bit.ly/19IBkCR

Shopnerkotha said...

I love those book. Thanks for writing a review about this.I like your blog name and home page design.Doing well.

annanc said...

Michele, I will be sending you an email. I am former social worker becoming a stay at home mom to my 3 month old and almost 4 year old. I, too, would love to do something around literacy programs and also live in the Charlotte area - so great coincidence. I have recently, after working many years in corporate America, wanted to use my time as a stay at home mother to also give back to the community. For my daughter's 4th birthday party I am asking for no presents, just new or gently used books for me to donate to a literacy program. I really think books are so disposable from what I see when I go to Goodwill, consignment stores, yard sales, there is no reason whatsoever that, with passionate, like-minded people, something could be done to provide "book totes" to new mothers. I'd love to have coffee and brainstorm with you if you are still interested in looking into this.